Wednesday 21 March 2012

Am I really busy?


I just had a conversation with a friend and she got me thinking....

I am a mom of 2 boys.  I'm a full-time paramedic.  I am the wife of a farmer....
Ok, so it sounds like a lot.  I also help out at church occasionally, usually as a substitute pianist.
I am part of a book club that meets once per month and I usually have the book read on time or early.  In the spring, I am part of the chorus in a Gilbert and Sullivan production.  Other than the theater and work, nothing I do  requires me to be away from home on a specific evening every week.

Where do I find the time to do all that I do?

Part of it is not feeling guilty about the things that I am not good at and therefore just "get by"... Housekeeping is one area!  My house is cluttered and more often than not, not dusted!

Also, my husband was a successful farmer for years before we met and married.  As a farmer's wife, I do the cooking.  Nope, no barn chores for this girl.  Not because I don't want to help but I am a slow learner and when we have time for me to learn, we usually finally have time to do something as a family.  (going out for dinner, etc.)  Therefore, teaching me slows him down... Sometimes it's just better to be a support from afar.  This might not work for others but it works for us.

Another part of the equation is that I have a great job!  Moments of sheer terror followed by days of boredom, or in my case: a chance to read, knit or crochet!  When I talk to students about my job, I tell them that they do need to cultivate some sort of pastime.  Seriously, being a paramedic involves lots of waiting around.

Well, I  had better go and get a few things done around here.... I totally forgot to water my plants on Saturday. They are probably really thirsty!


No comments:

Post a Comment